Saturday, February 2, 2013

JDMDPhD and other harebrained notions

I regret to say I haven't accomplished much on the knitting front because I've been even more ADHD than usual.  That said, my weekly progress report goes something like this:

Made a somewhat passable napa cabbage stew for dinners for the week.

Got my car totaled 2 nights ago (alas, poor Tart, I knew her well), and while the insurance companies fight over who covers my rental car, I am essentially SOL in terms of transportation.  Work should be...interesting over the next few weeks.

Spent yesterday evening getting creative with spaghetti.  Well, when you know you only have the contents of your fridge to rely on for the next...how long is it going to be?...you start figuring out interesting ways to incorporate such varied ingredients as tofu and saltine crackers into actual edible concoctions.  Result: slightly vegetarian spaghetti and meatballs.  Gave myself seconds of just sauce, if you must know.
Ingredients: whole wheat spaghetti noodles, diced Roma tomatoes, tomato paste, about a half cup of ground pork, 1 block medium-firm tofu finely chopped, 1 egg, 5 saltine crackers, minced ginger and garlic, and a hodgepodge of spices from my pantry (I think the tally included salt, sugar, fresh-ground black pepper, oregano, red pepper flakes, thyme, and generous helpings of dried basil).  Heat olive oil in saucepan, drop in 2 cloves garlic and cook on medium heat until oil absorbs flavor, discard garlic, drop in diced tomatoes, cook until pasty, add tomato paste and spices and simmer over low heat.  Meanwhile, mix together meat, tofu, egg, saltines, minced garlic and ginger, and spices of your choosing, shape into balls/ball-like structures and brown in a separate pan.  When browned, add to sauce.  Boil spaghetti to desired firmness, drain, place in bowl and ladle sauce on top.  Enjoy.

And finally, decided to put together a recording of a song I wrote around this time last year, now that I finally have 1) a piano, 2) a smartphone, and 3) time on my hands and nothing else I can accomplish seeing as I'm stuck in the house tearing my hair out.  Alas, it seems all social media was equipped for photo and video but not music files.  Huh?  If anyone knows how to work around that, let me know!  Otherwise, I'll spare you both the agony and the amusement.

Oh, right, the title.  Well, my sister and I have decided that one day we're going to start a band.  It'll feature her on vocals and me on piano/backup vocals.  We're going to be called JDMDPhD, after our degrees in chronological order.  Look for us, you know, one of these days, when pigs fly.

1 comment:

  1. Alternatively, the first name we came up with was "Box 'o Diplomas," which might work just as well...

    ReplyDelete