Thursday, September 1, 2011

Crafty on call

OK, you got me.  This is not a knitting, sewing, or any kind of crafting post whatsoever.  That is, unless I can come up with a knitting project on the fly that uses a finite quantity of cheap stash yarn and looks cool despite being composed entirely of stockinette or garter stitch.  Ew.  But there it is: the Hamlet-esque to do or not to do of whether to bring one's latest project to work, particularly when one's work is...well...on a good night, sitting around waiting for the pager to go off.

Don't get me wrong.  I actually kind of like working nights as the floor doc.  You know, once my body stops yelling at me for thinking I can get away with being nocturnal (waaaaay easier 10 or even 5 years ago, probably).  And also assuming I ever get over the tendency, when a nurse or patient comes up to me and asks "are you THE DOCTOR?" to look around frantically for a) the attending, b) the fellow, c) the TARDIS, all of which would get me off the hook of actually admitting to being "THE DOCTOR."  You know, in different ways, and on various planes of reality.  I like nights because it's much more low-profile than days, less formal and regimented.  On quiet nights I catch up on reading and join the nurses in learning new dances with names like the Cupid Shuffle and the Wobble (honestly?  who comes up with these?).  But seriously, right now, I'm just bored.  And boredom is dangerous.  Especially in a children's hospital.

So...I have in a dresser drawer at home several mismatched sets of bamboo double-points, a set of wooden circulars (size 11-ish), a set of plastic size 7 circulars, several skeins of Lionbrand Jiffy or its equivalent in various colors, 2 medium sized balls of purple-white-green Koolaid-dyed worsted-weight, probably 200 yards of black-and-rainbow bulky stuff, and...a partridge in a pear tree?  Anyone who can come up with a passably interesting yet mindless project to make with any of the above is my new hero.  I'll even name the thing after you.  I'll try to make that a compliment.  Please don't use the partridge.

2 comments:

  1. The Kate's Spectacular Dice Bag! Five ridges garter, 12 inches stockinette, another five ridges garter, fold in half, and seam up the sides. Add stripes, intarsia, y/o eyelets to thread a drawstring through, the sky's the limit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, I forgot how much I actually like nights around a children's hospital. But I'm looking forward to a new residency that averages 45-50 hours a week with two days off. Ha ha, beat that.

    ReplyDelete