Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Not the gumdrop buttons!

So the same ice storm that allowed me to finish the body of this cardigan between parent calls (conveniently timed at 5 minutes apart, like contractions)...

...also shut down the yarn shop, depriving me of buttons for this piece of cuteness until I no longer have time to sew them on.  I do have sleeves to do in the meantime, but I'm bored with garter stitch.  Box stitch too, truth be told.  Don't get me started on seaming/finishing.  That was a story for yesterday morning as the sleet and freezing rain were starting to come down and I had time to kill before work and a drying rack full of washed gloves and socks.
 On the other hand, the icy misery that has been winter 2013-14 in coastal SC has also led to this.  Wavewalker version 2, if you're confused.  Really, what else is one to do?  Instead of basking in boredom, I now have a scarf and hat to donate to the CMC auction, as well as Omelet shawl from last year.  Well, I say instead of.


Truth be told, I have been basking in boredom.  Blame the freezing drizzle and the lack of sunlight and my own artistic personality/seasonal-affective tendencies if you must, but it's been nice getting away from people.  Aside from, you know, answering the phone.  Bubbly personality masking misanthropic introvert?  Screw that, just misanthropic introvert for the win!  More time for writing and jam sessions at the piano and daydreaming for no good reason.  And if your mother ever told you imaginary worlds are bad for you, just tell her some of the most enduring works of art and literature and music wouldn't exist without them.  Okay, maybe don't tell her that.  Go eat your vegetables and catch up on the work you're missing for the snow days and aspire to be a doctor or lawyer or businessperson like you're supposed to.  Otherwise you might end up a 30-year-old unmarried cat-coddling female pediatrician in the small town South whose dreams involve an iconic blue box landing on her lawn and its resident madman offering her a ride to the furthest reaches of the universe.  At least I'm realistic about it: knowing my weird luck it'd be Peter Capaldi and not Matt Smith, and he'd be on his way to someone much more interesting, but we'd have a blast anyway.  Joking, of course!  Everybody knows my perfect Valentine's Day involves Tom Hiddleston and a Shakespeare First Folio.  Yes, I know that doesn't belong in the real world either.  Stop eating my gumdrop buttons already!

No comments:

Post a Comment