Sunday, July 22, 2012

Showing off

What, you think I'm not going to post pictures?  This was part 1 of Shawl-block 2012, wherein I take my lace shawl projects of the past few months and do the right thing, i.e. wet-block them into submission.  Shown here is TARDIS shawl stretched out on foam sheets, available in the crafts section at the local Walmart, apparently.  I was looking for the foam puzzle-piece thingies that lock together, but the toys section was oddly disappointing, so foam sheets and magic tape it is.  Unfortunately it's less mobile than my original brilliant plan, so if you're going to do it this way you may need to plan ahead, space-wise.  Great thing about this project is it actually shapes pretty readily, no wires or fancy manipulations required.
 By the way, y'all are gonna get very familiar with the insides of my bathrooms because strategically placed mirrors are my friends.  Also, new apartment, new mirrors, new rules.  Took me forever to line up these shots properly, and if you hallucinate, you might actually be able to see some of the detailing.
 Yes, I'm in my jammies, and yes, that is a Hogwarts tee.  Why do you ask?
Quick note about the pattern if, like me, you plan on wearing it into the outside world when it's finally not 90+ degrees and more humid than the Jurassic period: it does end up very long and not particularly wide, especially at its ends, so expect it to cover essentially the same areas in back that a somewhat generous shrug might do.  I think you can probably get a bit more up-and-down with some strategic stretching during the blocking phase, but we're talking maybe an inch or two, so plan accordingly.


This concludes Shawl-block 2012 part 1.  Next up: Aeolian, or possibly a somewhat larger-than-intended teddy bear.  We shall see whether legs or more blocking strikes me as more annoying.  Till we meet again....

No comments:

Post a Comment