Thursday, July 12, 2012

Detour for a good cause

In the process of packing/shipping my entire life over to North Myrtle Beach, I decided to put the complicated lace projects on hold for something a little cuddlier.  A friend of mine's mother is a nurse who works with (or possibly runs?) the bereavement program at her local NICU.  Part of that is something called the Empty Arms Program, which gives a teddy bear to each mom who's lost a baby.  They're currently low on bears, and since I happen to have a metric crap-ton of Lionbrand Jiffy and approximately as much stuffing, a new project idea was born.  I don't know that much about the program itself or the logistics of donation, but if my readership of 2-ish (besides the Desultory Knitter, of course ;)) would like to contribute (you don't have to make the bears yourself--I'm just doing it 'cause I'm a little cuckoo), I just Googled Chandler Regional Hospital Empty Arms Program, and I think there's people you can contact.  In the meantime, I'm going to knit some bears.

1 comment:

  1. You probably already know about this, but http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall05/PATTbubby.html. I've made my fair share of teddy bears (including one I scaled up to twice the size the pattern calls for) using this pattern.

    ReplyDelete