Tuesday, July 24, 2012

It's a bird, it's a plane!

It's a Cylon raider!  At least, that's what I thought Aeolian looked like on the blocking mats the evening after an afternoon of stretching and pinning and scrutinizing and re-pinning.

The crimson adds to the effect of something just slightly alive, and the shape, that sharp-pointed curved wingspan, well, you be the judge.  (PS that teddy bear in the corner is Vincent--brother to Theo, of course!--version 1, whom I scrapped 'cause I ran out of yarn.  Version 2 in progress now.  Also, can somebody remind me whether bears and/or pandas have thumbs?  I want to say bears no/pandas yes?  Something tells me I should've taken Comparative Animal Physiology during my Bio major in college...)
 But back to Aeolian, I do have to admit it looks rather gorgeous when worn, and the pattern is inspired.  But is that really how tiny it is?  Good thing I'm living in the Deep South now and don't actually need wraps and things for warmth.  Otherwise we might have a slight problem.  Now, I'm only sometimes a glutton for punishment, but if I ever make one of these babies again for a gift, I'm going to have to go big (full-size shawl) or go home.
 And this concludes Shawl-block 2012.  At least for now.  It's true what they say out there: lace is an addiction.  There may have to be more of this.  Gulp!

No comments:

Post a Comment