Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Being Patriotic

Truth be told I meant to do this at least a year ago.

The dress, not being patriotic.  Although the latter is debatable.  Let's just say I'm not normally someone who goes around wearing flags.  I am, however, as female as the next chick.  So when a friend of mine sent me a couple yards of this little number and dared me to make a dress out of it, I was happy to comply.  You know, eventually.
As the hunk in the center says, "I want YOU to love your country."  Okey doke.  Will strapless do?
By the way, this is not based on any pattern (sorry, folks!).  I just cut out front bodice, 2 halves of back bodice, and front and back skirt panels based on my own measurements and worked from there.  The zipper goes up the back and extends a few inches into the skirt.
Feeling a bit exposed?  No worries.  Have a halter collar.  It attaches to the bodice seam with snaps, because I hate commitment.
You know how long this dress actually took me to make?  That's right: approximately 10 hours from start to finish.  So why didn't I actually do it when the bet was fresh in people's minds?  Because my sewing machine was way over in the office...
So, advantage to a studio apartment: no more out of sight, out of mind.  Sewing machine was promptly unpacked, cleaned, doused in liberal amounts of WD40, and put to its intended use.  The bed being in full view from every angle might be a problem though.  To sleep, to sew.  Aye, there's the rub.
At least this year I don't have to worry about what to wear for the 4th.

No comments:

Post a Comment