Sunday, October 27, 2013

Dissociations

It's concert weekend, so my brain is in disjointed mode by default.  CMC has a tendency to self-select for obscenely educated people (we sing classical music, for crying out loud, and experience works of staggering genius with reasonable frequency), so it shouldn't surprise me that before our performance yesterday I was treated to some of my colleagues lamenting the demise of proper spelling in higher education.  Though my inner linguistic nerd imp did sort of want to play devil's advocate and point out that English spelling wasn't standardized until the 18th century and yet Shakespeare and Milton got by just fine.  Not that social media and pop music feel like they should inhabit the same intellectual real estate...should they?

Then, naturally, I started ruminating on the other odd creative associations and dissociations swimming around in my brain.  Some of which are even related to knitting and sewing.

Exhibit A: Project LRD (Little Red Dress.  Duh!)

Originally, this was based on a rather fetching little red velvet and lace number from Groupon Goods.  It didn't come in my size.  Those who are of unusual size...make their own duds?

As for weird associations, um, speaking of Shakespeare, I started cutting and piecing fabric for this dress while watching PBS Great Performances.  And now I suppose every time I wear the thing I'll think of Henry V's St Crispin's Day speech.  That or "Once more unto the breach."  You were expecting Hamlet's soliloquy?







Exhibit B: that damn scarf (pictures not included)

Those of you who are curious, it's the Henry scarf (heh, Henry again, how appropriate) from knitty.com.  A friend of mine requested a scarf for a birthday gift sometime around the beginning of the month, and I've been making painstaking progress on it ever since.  Yesterday after the concert I decided to put in one more pattern repeat before the high wore off.  Big mistake, since it took me an entire 2-hour movie to do so.  Doesn't that kid that gets turned into a black cat in "Hocus Pocus" look familiar though?  Oh...probably 'cause I've been watching him solve crimes during my knitting/NCIS marathons (actually I rather miss those and will need a few in order to finish this damn scarf).  Though actually Henry gets associated with witches and other Halloweeny things: Addams Family, Harry Potter, Food Network's Halloween Wars, you get the idea.  And I'm getting a sweet tooth.

Speaking of dissociations, apropos of nothing at all except I'm going to be traveling on Halloween and won't get a chance to wear it, voila my awesome costume of awesomeness.  Generic time traveler, if you must know, but when one has a closet stocked with glorious costume pieces...
This post brought to you by the letter K.  For "knitwit."  Suggested by one of my fellow CMC-ers, should I ever need an additional blog name.  Or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment