Sunday, August 4, 2013

Regenerations

As I've mentioned about a gazillion times, this fall I was...sort of gently coerced...to give up my Claudette scarf and wristwarmers for a good cause (yes, I consider funding for the arts a good cause, don't make me get on my soapbox now).  Winter came and went, and I used heavier/warmer stuff while concentrating on lace.  In early spring, I wished I hadn't stupidly offered up nice warm scraps for the price of a discount concert ticket, but projects came and went and I couldn't really spare the time.  But with summer starting to wind down, it was time to re-evaluate my to-do list.

Small victories, indeed, but on the eve of the announcement of the next Doctor, I officially present my "regenerated" scarf and wristwarmer set.  Like the Doctor, it seems to have changed its face (earthier colorway, less crochet-work on the scarf and more coverage on the wristwarmers).  If it deserves a different name than "Claudette," I would completely understand.  One day I might even come up with a good one.

For yarn, I'd estimate this at...worsted-plus?  Novelty/handspun with varying thicknesses along the length welcome.

 Claudette gloves:

Cast on 24 sts and work in the round.
Ribbing: k1p1 around for 9 rounds or desired length.
Body: knit even 6 rounds or desired length.

Thumb gusset:
round 1: k12, place marker, m1, k1, place marker, k to end of round
round 2: knit
round 3: k12, sl marker, m1, k3, sl marker, k to end of round
round 4: knit
repeat increases until you have 11 sts between markers, knit 1 round, then knit to marker, slip sts between markers to waste yarn, co 1 st, knit to end of round.

Body: knit 6 rows or to desired length, then work in k1p1 rib for 6 rows or desired length.  Bind off.

Thumb:
transfer sts on waste yarn to needles.
k1 round, pick up and knit 2 sts over cast-off edge (13 sts total)
next round: k to last 3 sts, knit those 3 together using centered double decrease of choice (10 sts total).
knit 3 rounds or to desired length.
work k1p1 rib 6 rounds or desired length.  Bind off.

 Claudette scarf:
Cast on 28 stitches or desired width.
Knit 2 rows (garter stitch border).
Next row (body): k2, k1p1 to last 2 sts, k2 (the k2s form the garter stitch border).
Repeat body row to desired length or until almost out of yarn.
Bind off.
Pick up last stitch in bind-off on crochet needle, chain 12 sts, attach to body.  Repeat crochet loops evenly across bottom of work (mine formed 4 even loops on each side--see pics).
Pick up 1 stitch at opposite end of scarf and repeat crochet loops.





Well, so much for that.   Seems a bit anticlimactic.  And still not a ginger.

No comments:

Post a Comment