Sunday, January 27, 2013

Life, the Universe, and Everything (or Fish Fingers and Custard)

Today is one of my Doctor Who quote days.  Maybe it's 'cause it's a weekend and I'm having one of my usual Sunday afternoon existential crises and really who reads this blog anyway?  But what keeps running through my head is, "The universe is big.  It's vast and complicated and ridiculous, and sometimes, impossible things just happen, and we call them miracles.  900 years, never seen one yet, but this would do me."  Something like that anyway.  And to quote Rory (badly as well), "I could use a ridiculous miracle right about now."

Relax, I waxed philosophical over an attempt at rice pudding too.  Life is like making custard.  Get impatient and crank up the heat, and you end up with a scrambled-egg mess.  Take it too slow and the custard never thickens.  Timing is everything, and maybe if I get those darn custards figured out the rest of my life will fall into place too.

Which is not to say that I didn't end up with a halfway-passable rice pudding.  You know, eventually:
Oh, shut up and enjoy the custard picture and the stealthily snapped shots of Project Wibble hat.
 The pattern, by the way is cast on factor of 8 stitches, knit 4x4 rib until you can't stand it any more, pick up bottom stitches and knit together with live stitches to make doubled cuff, knit 1 row even, change color, knit 2nd color until satisfied, switch back to main color, decrease every however many stitches you feel like to round out the top and then bind off.  Inspiration loosely based on fisherman's knit cap (remember those yellow Gorton's frozen seafood packages?  I...might 'cause one night I had an odd craving for fish fingers and custard).

No comments:

Post a Comment