Saturday, January 14, 2017

Nope

"Rebellions are built on hope."
     -- Cassian Andor, "Rogue One"

"Rebellions are built on nope."
     -- me, commenting on a certain parody election/inaugural poster

Anyone who's ever chafed at a particularly exacting recipe or brushed aside a pattern as mere guidelines might agree with me on this one. Sometimes you just aren't feeling it, and that's the beginning of...something at least. For example, last weekend I broke out the Death Star measuring set (you heard me, that's no moon!) and a bucket of limes.

In my defense, the limes were on sale, and sometimes you wanna take out your frustrations on a sleeve of graham crackers. But I always balk at the idea of separating eggs. Not because it's particularly difficult once you get the hang of it, mind, but more because I usually end up with a carton of leftover egg whites and there's only so much I know to do with meringue.




So also knowing me, balking at the idea of waste in my totally overpriced Manhattan kitchen, I tried to cook up something with the leftover bits. Unfortunately this means that for every glorious specimen of Smitten Kitchen key lime pie...

...ta-da!...




You get these sad, flat little crisps consisting of a little too much lime juice and an uneven trip to the innards of my oven. One day these will not have suffered in vain.










But in any case, while I was mourning the loss of my dignity over these meringue--wafers?--it did get me thinking of dishcloths again. Meaning once keeping-my-wits-(lighting)-sharp lace and cable shawl is off the needles...
...I'm gonna do me a set of "Nope." Maybe. If I'm feeling it. Because lace is hard and a little subversion is good for the soul. Also somebody else is welcome to my slogan if you can use it because I'm a minority woman on a single salary with rent to pay and a cat to feed, so I'd like to keep working thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment