Saturday, May 26, 2012

Adventures in Lace Knitting Part 2: Casting on

Last Saturday one of the girls at knitgroup somehow convinced me to tackle lace.  By lace I mean the real deal, with teeny tiny spiderwebby yarn made of such forbidden pleasures as silk and baby alpaca, and intricate stitch charts so thickly plotted they're the stuff of complex migraines.  Before that could get going, though, I thought I'd warm up with something just slightly less daunting.  Enter...Bigger on the Inside?  Don't get me wrong, I've been a fan of knitty.com from the start, but seriously?  Must...make...TARDIS...shawl.

You might have thought I'd left the "Doctor Who" projects behind for good.  Not bloody likely.  In my possession: a pair of my trademark unnumbered extra-long bamboo dpns and 2 skeins of Simply Soft Light in Riviera.  OK, not quite the blue I was looking for, but as this is my first foray into lace charts, am I gonna frak up a custom laceweight?  Didn't think so.  Ten points to the BSG fans that just groaned.  And please forgive me to the Whovians who now know without a doubt that I in fact was never around to watch Four in action, and that my favorite Doctor is Eleven (you never forget your first, right?).

With that, it's time to begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment