Friday, April 27, 2012

Adventures in Lace Knitting

If tangents were spiderwebs, I'd be up there with Charlotte for world's most prolific spider.  Actually, just pretend I never said that.  After hours of seam-ripping on self-designed dress number...1? 2? whatever...my mind started wandering to the upcoming RenFaire.  I'd made that apple-green faux-satin gown back in the fall but kept procrastinating on headgear.  Enter a few green additions to my yarn stash, left over from wedding presents.  Must...make...hair ornament.
So, remnants of a fairly smooth cotton-based green yarn, I'm thinking snood/caul/whatever-you-call-those-hairnet-thingies.  Since I don't happen to have beads or the patience/coordination to work with said beads, my next best option was an open lace.  For that I chose Arrowhead.  Unfortunately, unbeknownst to me, my rough draft in worsted yarn (the only stuff I'm willing to part with on a lark) and approximately-size-8 double-points would go on to produce...a doll's beret?
Options here?  Well, I could make the decreases a bit more gradual and knit more loosely (plus my green yarn of choice is a slightly finer gauge).  Or...time to break into the stash for more gorgeous hats?  This could get dangerous.  Anyone want a beret?  I promise I'll make it human-size next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment